EBU activity in the framework of the
Community Programme for Employment and Social Solidarity (PROGRESS)
EBU continued in 2009 the implementation of its 2008-2010 work programme: "Partnership
for the social inclusion of people with a visual impairment". The
programme focused on five key areas: the UN Convention of the Rights of People
with Disabilities, Employment, Access to Technology, Education and Copyright,
Youth Capacity-Building Seminar, and Communication.
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD):
- EBU continues to look into legislation relevant to blind and partially
sighted people in European countries. The legislative database launched in 2008
is updated and developed, in order to support the effective implementation
of the Convention in relevant rights areas. Visit the
Database Web Page
- In the continuity of the work carried out by Fred Reid and Philippa Simkiss in 2008,
o the "The Hidden Majority" report was complemented by a fact-finding visit in Romania,
o a fact-finding visit was conducted by Rodolfo Cattani to survey the situation of visually impaired people’s access to the open labour market and the supported employment sector in Italy.
- Preparatory documentation to support the Youth Capacity-Building Seminar
- Access to Technology:
- Preparatory documentation to support the Youth Capacity-Building Seminar (see below).
- Education and Copyright:
- Legislative data were gathered on the rights covered in Articles 24 and 30
of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Visit the Database Web Page
- Report on accessible education in the European Union
- Youth Capacity-Building Seminar:
two-day seminar entitled “Harnessing New ICTs as a means to ease the job inclusion of visually impaired youth” was held in Bratislava, Slovakia, on 7-8 November 2009.
- EBU went on implementing its communication strategy, voicing the issues affecting visually impaired Europeans through 6 Newsletters and a Video.
Visit the Newsletter Index Page and watch the